These SUGARED CRANBERRIES have become one of my FAVORITE holiday treats.
They are tart, sweet and fun to eat.
Yes, FUN to eat! They make a POP in your mouth when you bite them.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (I use 1 bag, 12 ounces, I think)
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar or less (I've used superfine ((pictured)) or regular sugar)
- Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring mixture until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat. (Do not boil or the cranberries may pop when added.) Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. I place a smaller bowl on top of the plastic wrap to help fully submerge the cranberries. I don't put the bowl in the fridge right away, I let it cool even more and then place in refrigerator.
- Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving steeping liquid, if desired. Spread sugared cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle the superfine sugar on top. I use my hand to roll them all around in the sugar and try to space them out a little. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry (it usually takes a while). Shake the baking sheet a few times to make sure all sides are drying and rolled in sugar. I probably shake mine 4-5 times.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week.
- These have become a HUGE hit with my friends and make for great hostess gifts, party favors, or gifts. Enjoy!